Who is allowed to use cannabis?

It is legal for adults 21 years of age and older to purchase, possess and consume cannabis.


How much cannabis can you purchase/possess?

Colorado residents can purchase and possess up to one ounce (28 grams) of cannabis flower OR concentrate OR cannabis infused products. Adults are also able to possess up to 6 cannabis plants – 3 flowering and 3 non-flowering in an enclosed, locked space.


How do I legally obtain cannabis?

From Retail Cannabis Dispensaries/Stores: Adults 21 years of age and older with a valid photo ID

From another adult 21 years of age or older: Adults 21 years of age and older can give up to one ounce of cannabis to another adult 21 years of age and older as long as it does not require any form of compensation.


Where am I allowed to consume cannabis?

It is legal for adults to consume cannabis privately, out of view of the general public. It is illegal to consume cannabis in public places, as well as federal land. Violating public use laws can result in fines and other legal penalties. 


Can I travel with cannabis?

It is illegal to take any amount of cannabis across state lines and doing so could result in significant penalties. It is legal to drive with cannabis in your car as long as it is in its original sealed packaging.


Is it legal to drive after consuming cannabis?

It is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis and can result in serious legal penalties. The legal limit is 5 ng/ml of THC in whole blood. In Colorado there is the “reputable presumption” law which means you are presumed impaired if you have 5 ng/ml of THC in the blood, but allows you to rebut that presumption in court.


Can I lose my job or face other collateral consequences for using cannabis?

Unfortunately, yes, employers can still fire adults for responsible off-the-job cannabis use. We recommend learning about your employer’s policy prior to consuming cannabis. Also, since cannabis is still illegal under federal law, using it can result in loss of certain benefits, such as public housing assistance and college financial aid.